Hours: Mon-Thu 9am-9pm/Fri & Sat 9am-5pm/Sun 1-5pm
The library has new art on display for August and September featuring paintings by Donna Ament and Patricia Kounkel and glass works by Kristi Pederson.
The 2014 Kids’ Art Fest is Saturday, September 27th from 9am-1pm. This is a FREE family event! Arts & Crafts for all ages of kids, face painting and a bounce house! Rain or Shine!
Early Childhood Screenings – Oct 2nd with appointments starting at 9:15am. Do you have questions about your child’s development? The Papillion/LaVista School District staff will be conducting free early childhood developmental screenings. Sign-up with Cathy at the children’s desk!
Toddler Trick-or-Treat – Oct 31st at 9:45am. Enjoy a story or two and then Trick or Treat at the library and downtown! Costumes Welcome!
Baby Yoga – Wednesdays at 9:15am (Starts Oct 8th). Suzanne Wright, a registered Yoga teacher from the Lotus House Of Yoga, presents an adorable class combining movement, breath, and play. This is a great way to encourage the bonds of caregiver and baby. Bring a blanket for your baby and wear comfortable clothes. No Yoga experience necessary. Ideal for babies 8 weeks and older!
Story Times - Please join us for our Story Times filled with age-appropriate stories, songs, and finger plays! Check the calendar for dates and details. Please provide advance notice if you want to bring a large group to a Story Time. Always alert staff to any food allergies before allowing children to participate in the programs. When Papillion/LaVista Schools are closed due to inclement weather, programming will not be held.
Dust, Drought, & Dreams Gone Dry, an exhibition about The Dust Bowl, will be on display at Sump Memorial Library from August 25th – October 6th. The following accompanying programs will be held Sundays in September from 2-4pm:
- The Dust Bowl – Part 2 by Ken Burns film screening with a scholar-led discussion is September 21st.
- Historical Photo Scanning – September 28th (Registration Required). Individuals can bring in up to ten photos taken between 1930 and 1945 to be digitized and placed on a CD free of charge. Photos will be shared with local historical societies in an effort to preserve our local history from this time period. Call 402-597-2040 to register or for more information. A metadata form will need to be completed for each picture and one release form will need to be signed.
September 18th, 10-11am – Fun with Friends is a program for adults with special needs featuring exciting learning opportunities, music, and crafts. Adults must be accompanied by a caregiver. To register or for additional information, call (402)898-8830.
September 30th at 7pm join us for Why the Two Party System Is Giving Us Gridlock: And What to Do About It. This discussion will be led by Larry Bradley, author of the book Neither Liberal Nor Conservative Be: An Action Plan for People Disgusted by Polarized Politics.
October 14th, 6-7pm – Smart Investing @ Your Library Kick-Off Event and Personal Investing Presentation. This a free month long program with online training in personal investing. To register or for additional information, call 402-597-2040.
October 16th, 10-11am – Fun with Friends is a program for adults with special needs. This month’s program features live owls! Adults must be accompanied by a caregiver. To register or for additional information, call 402-597-2040.
October 21st, 1:00-2:00pm – The Small Business Administration (SBA) will host a program about business plans, start up financing, and SBA resources available for current or future small business owners. Feel free to bring your lunch to enjoy while you learn about potential resources!
November 20th, 10-11am – Fun with Friends is a program for adults with special needs. This month’s program is interactive environment history with the NRD. Adults must be accompanied by a caregiver. To register or for additional information, call (402-597-2040.
November 20th, 6:00-7:00pm – Smart Investing @ Your Library Wrap-Up Event and Personal Investing Presentation.
Brown Baggers meets every 3rd Wednesday at 12:00pm in Meeting Room 50.
Bonding With Bindings meets every 2nd Thursday at 7:00pm in Meeting Room 50.
Forever Young Book Club (a book club for adults who enjoy young adult literature) will be discussing Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys on September 16th at 7pm. Pick up a copy of this month’s book at the library front desk.
Club Knit meets the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the month at 6:30 pm. (Beginners and experienced knitters get together to knit.)
- Veterans’ Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving (November 27th & 28th, 2014)
- Christmas Eve at 1:00pm & Christmas Day (December 25th)
- New Year’s Eve at 5:00pm & New Year’s Day (January 1st)
- Martin Luther King Day (January 18th & 19th, 2015)
- Presidents’ Day (February 15th & 16th, 2015)
- Easter Sunday (April 5th, 2015)
- Memorial Day (May 24th & 25th, 2015)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day (September 6th & September 7th, 2015)