Minutes of the Sump Memorial Library Board of Trustees
Tuesday, June 23, 2015
The Board of Trustees of Sump Memorial Library met in an open and public session at Sump Memorial Library on June 23, 2015 at 3:00 p.m.
- Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 3:00 p.m.
- Roll call:
- Present were Board Members Steve Kryger, Susan McCalman, Peggy Montgomery (late), Paul Schroeder, and Jacquelyn Wilson. Also present were Assistant City Administrator Chris Myers and Interim Library Director Matt Kovar.
- Affidavit of Publication: Notice of the meeting was given to the Papillion Times, the designated method of giving notice.
- Public announcement that a current copy of the open meetings act is posted in the meeting room.
- Correspondence: The most recent issue of The Voice was circulated for review.
- Roll call:
- Approval of the Agenda: Motion: McCalman; Second: Wilson. Roll vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: absent, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.
- Approval of the May 26, 2015 meeting minutes: Motion: McCalman; Second: Wilson. Roll vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: absent, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.
- Finance report – The May financial report was not yet available from the Finance Department at the time of the meeting.
- Committee reports
- Facilities committee: Assistant City Administrator Myers shared that the application has been submitted for the potential renovation grant. We will be notified of the outcome on June 30th. The planning for how to move forward with the grant if accepted would begin after June 30th. If the application is not accepted, the plan for renovation will be revised.
- Staff reports
- The Interim Director’s report was reviewed.
- The Youth Services report was reviewed.
- Friends of the Library Report: No Report. Kryger expressed concern about the ease of members of the public being able to determine when the Friends of the Library Bookstore is open, as well as having enough volunteers to staff the bookstore. These topics will be discussed at the next meeting of the Friends. Montgomery entered the meeting at 3:15pm.
- Library Foundation Report: No Report. McCalman suggested having members of the Foundation present at the July or August Board meetings to strengthen their relationship with the Library Board.
- Old Business
- Strategic Planning Update: Interim Director Kovar shared that the initial meeting of the Strategic Planning Committee will take place on Monday, June 29th at 4:30pm. This meeting will mainly be an opportunity for committee members to meet and learn about the planning process. Bullet point outcomes of each meeting will be sent to Board members to keep them up-to-date on the planning progress. Library Board members have been asked to complete a SWOT analysis of the Library by July 10th. These forms can be returned to the Library for compilation. Assistant City Administrator Myers suggested that members of the Downtown Business Association also be included on the distribution list for the SWOT analysis. Kovar will also look into using the Library’s email database to send the survey out to a representative group of patrons.
- Library Director Selection (Defer to closed session): President Schroeder asked if there was a motion to go into closed session to protect the public interest to discuss personnel matters. Motion: Montgomery; Second: Kryger. Proponents: None. Opponents: None. Board Discussion: None. Roll Vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: yes, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried. President Schroeder stated for the record that the purpose of the closed session is to only discuss personnel matters. The Library Board went into closed session at 3:20pm. The closed session included the following: Library Board Members.
President Schroeder announced at 4:11pm that the only topic discussed in closed session was personnel matters. McCalman put forth a motion to come out of closed session. Second: Montgomery. Roll Vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: yes, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.
Discussion over the details of salary and a probationary period of the new Director followed. Clarification was given that salary may be increased following 6 months, and annually in October. A motion was put forth to nominate to the City Council the name of Rebecca Sims as candidate for Director of the Sump Memorial Library. Motion: McCalman; Second: Kryger. Roll Vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: yes, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.
President Schroeder will contact the candidate to offer a conditional offer of employment, conditional upon the completion of a drug screen, background check, and approval by the City Council. A letter of nomination to the City Council will be drafted and distributed to the Board for review. The Board will be notified when the nomination will go before the City Council. McCalman expressed support for an open house for the new Director after confirmation. Kryger was concerned that the Mayor’s and City Administrator’s involvement was not consistent with the wording of the new ordinance, which gave the Library Board exclusive control over the director nomination process. However, Kryger recognized the practicality of their involvement in interviewing the California candidate. Assistant City Administrator Myers explained that this involvement was to allow the candidates to have the opportunity to meet with City representatives prior to a nomination being made. President Schroeder expressed the Board’s appreciation of the assistance of Myers throughout the search process, and requested that a letter of thanks be sent to the selection committee. City officials and Library staff will be notified of the nomination of Rebecca Sims as Director at 8am on Wednesday, June 24th.
- New Business:
- Twilight Criterium Early Closure: The Twilight Criterium will be held in downtown Papillion on Saturday, August 15th. Montgomery put forth a motion to close the Library at Noon on Saturday, August 15th for the Twilight Criterium. Second: Wilson. Roll Vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: yes, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.
- Comments from the Floor: None.
- Comments from the Library Board: Kryger requested that once the Library Board Bylaws are passed by the Board, they are sent on to the City Council for approval, as the Council has the authority to override any rules or regulation approved by the Board. Kryger stated the City Council should take responsibility, along with their authority, of the new bylaws, etc.,by approving the actions taken by the Board so both entities are on the same page, and all pursuant to the new ordinance.
- Closed Session to Discuss Personnel Matters:
- Adjournment –Montgomery motioned to adjourn the meeting at 4:51pm. Second: McCalman. Roll Vote: Kryger: yes, McCalman: yes, Montgomery: yes, Schroeder: yes, Wilson: yes. Motion carried.